Thursday, April 12, 2007

Cyber Karma

So. . . within hours of my last post about upcoming movies, my general question about the library scene in Atonement gets answered by someone who kindly sent me a link to the trailer (you'll see a tiny peek of the library scene). You can watch it here. The movie looks amazing - can't wait!
And then my friend K, who is a bookseller, e-mails me that she has two passes to see Away From Her that night. God, I love the internet. Obviously good things happen to those who blog!
Apart from a few scenes that I felt moved a little too slowly, I really did enjoy the movie. It's about a couple who have been married for 44 years and have to deal with the wife's onset of Alzheimer's, which brings up past resentments in their relationship. Julie Christie (still stunningly beautiful) and Gordon Pinsent were just wonderful in the lead roles. And how can you tell this is a Canadian movie? The characters read aloud from Alistair MacLeod's No Great Mischief and Michael Ondaatje's The Cinnamon Peeler. The couple dance to Neil Young, while k.d. lang croons over the closing credits. There's a reference to Canadian Tire. But my favourite scene takes place in the rest home where a group of seniors in various stages of Alzheimer's sit around a televison set watching the Leafs get kicked out of playoff contention yet again. If you liked the movie Iris - the story of Iris Murdoch and her battles with Alzheimer's then go and see Away From Her. The disease is not just played for weepy sentiment, but as a catalyst to explore the hidden tensions and secrets in a seemingly loving, long-term relationship. Sarah Polley's script and direction was extremely intelligent and perceptive blending unexpected ironic moments with poignant humour.

No comments: