Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Booker Longlist announced. . .

Let the fall award season begin . . .






Here's the first big award - The Man Booker longlist was announced today and I'm thrilled with some of the books that made the list, including A.S. Byatt's spectacular novel The Children's Book (which I'm keeping my fingers crossed for). In addition I've read the Toibin, Waters and Trevor - all worthy contenders. The new Coetzee manuscript has just shot up to the front of my reading pile, and I've had my eye on the Mawer for some time - it keeps staring at me from bookstore tables.
Here's the list in full:

The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt
Summertime by J.M. Coetzee
The Quickening Maze by Adam Foulds
How to Paint a Dead Man by Sarah Hall
The Wilderness by Samantha Harvey
Me Cheeta by James Lever
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
The Glass Room by Simon Mawer
Not True & Not Unkind by Ed O'Loughlin
Heliopolis by James Scudamore
Brooklyn by Colm Toibin
Love and Summer by William Trevor
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
The shortlist will be announced on Sept. 8th. I'm thinking it will come down to a battle between A.S. Byatt and Hilary Mantel.

No comments: