Monday, September 6, 2010

The NYRB Challenge One Year Later. . .


Yikes - where did the year go?  Well, I didn't accomplish my goal, which was to read 50 NYRB Classics in one year, starting from Labour Day 2009.  I almost got there - as I write, I'm in the middle of reading my 45th.  In my defense, according to my reading diary, I did read 72 other books in that time period, both for work and pleasure. However, I'm not giving up until I hit the 50 mark - I'll just give myself until the end of 2010 which seems perfectly doable, and this will allow me to tackle some longer titles that I've been eyeing. I certainly have enjoyed this challenge so far, and I'll post a full summary when I'm done. If you want to see which books I've already read, click here.  I'll also offer another great NYRB giveaway to readers when my challenge is over, so stay tuned.

2 comments:

Sasha said...

I found this blog by searching NYRB books, and I'm so glad -- I love your NYRB Challenge. If you don't mind, I want to do one for me too. So far, well, I've read five, and am on the way to finishing another.

I live in the Philippines, and NYRBs are harder to come by, but I'm finding ways. Hopefully, this time next year, I've read a total of fifty. Fingers crossed!

You're an inspiration! :]

Maylin said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments and the encouragement. I can say from experience that you won't be disappointed focusing your reading on NYRB this way - I've really had a lot of fun discovering such a variety of writers, styles and subject matter from all over the world. It's been enormously enriching.

Best of luck in your own challenge (and being able to find the books!)I'm always delighted to hear from another NYRB fan!