Friday, October 1, 2010

Friday Film Fest: Relationship Mileage. . .


When I was originally selling David Nicholls' lovely, romantic novel One Day and talking about it at Dewey events, I said it would appeal to fans of the movie (500) Days of Summer and I still think both are smart, sexy takes on modern relationships. But the other film that also keeps coming to mind is one of my favourite comfort DVDs - Stanley Donen's 1967 movie Two For the Road.  Anyone who has ever been in love knows that the true test of compatibility is that first road trip you take together. This film is completely made up of European car journeys that Mark and Joanna, played by Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn, make over a number of years, from their first meeting through various stages of their marriage. They laugh, they fight, they cheat, have misadventures, and even have to endure travelling with an American couple and their obnoxious child. The cuts back and forth between the various time periods are very cleverly done and Hepburn's changing wardrobe is a scenic attraction all on its own.  

1 comment:

Astrid (Mrs.B) said...

I loved One Day and I loved the film Two for the Road. Both wonderful!