Thursday, January 27, 2011

2011 Best Translated Book Longlist Announced. . .


One of my favourite new literary prizes has just announced its longlist.  The Best Translated Book Award judges not just the translation, but the literary quality of the work itself and as such it's a terrific reading recommendation list for some of the best recently translated international fiction.  There are authors representing 19 countries, writing in 12 languages.  I've read several of the books on the longlist and completely endorse their inclusion:  I Curse the River of Time by Per Petterson, translated by Charlotte Barslund, (one of my fall Dewey picks), The Jokers by Albert Cossery, translated by Anna Moschovakis (which was one of my top 10 favourite reads from my NYRB Classics Challenge), The True Deceiver by Tove Jansson, translated by Thomas Teal (another favourite writer of mine),  To The End of the Land by David Grossman, translated by Jessica Cohen (also a fall Dewey pick, just loved this novel), and The Literary Conference by Cesar Aira, translated by Katherine Silver (so surreally funny).

Read the full 25 title longlist here.  The shortlist will be announced  on March 24th and the winner on April 29th. Three Percent will bebloggin about each of the books in detail over the next few weeks.

1 comment:

Deanna McFadden said...

I just started the Per Peterson, and am already thinking that a trip to Jutland might be in my future. I do love how he incorporates the landscape within his novels. It almost becomes a character.